Cloak and Dagger Recap & Review – Episode 1 & 2
(CONTAINS SPOILERS DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED YET)
Back story – The episode starts off with a young Tandy Bowen played by Rachel Ryals doing ballet and a young Tyrone Johnson played by Maceo Smedley III who meets up with his older brother (Billy) and two of his friends.
After ballet Tandy phones her dad who works for a big company called Roxxon to pick her up. As they drive over a bridge a big oil rig is seen in the water whilst the dad is arguing about that very same oil rig on the phone to someone. It’s heavily raining and the dad isn’t fully concentrated on the road when an explosion is seen on the rig and gets distracted not seeing the lorry crashing into them, the car falls straight into the water with both of them still inside. When Tandy wakes up in the car she can’t seem to wake the dad, the lorry then falls in the water starting to crush the car with Tandy in it rapidly filling with water, she seems to loose consciousness for a bit until there is another explosion emitting a blue light that hits her, she wakes up to see these weird swirling black things and reaches out to grab a hand that was inside it.
Tyrone overhears Billy and his friends talking about stealing a stereo back from a car but he refuses and walks away, after hearing this Tyrone breaks into the car and steals it himself, once done he bumps into Billy who suggests they return the stereo, whilst walking there the police catch them and they make a run for the docks Billy telling Tyrone to stay hidden. Billy walks out stuck between the police and the water thats when the oil rig explodes the first time which startles the police shooting Billy twice in the chest and falling into the water, seeing this then Tyrone runs out and jumps in the water seeing his brother but not being able to do anything and starts to loose consciousness until then the second explosion happens and is hit with the same blue light as the Tandy.
Then it cuts to a few years later when Tandy now played by Olivia Holt and Tyrone now played by Aubrey Joseph are teenagers where it shows what I think is some fairly irrelevant stuff but some key points which later link which are bulleted below –
- Tandy and her boyfriend Liam steal stuff for a living then flog them for money, this time she went home with a guy slipped something in his drink and when he passed out she let Liam in and they stole stuff such as pills, ballet tickets and a white dress which Tandy hides inside her old ballet bag and stuffs in an air vent in her mums apartment
- Tyrone is in school and is part of a basket ball team and everyone is very serious about it
- Tandy lives in an old abandoned church which nobody knows about with not a lot of possessions rather than with her mother in a run down apartment who is an excessive drinker and drug user which you find out later on in the episode
- Tyrone gets invited to this party in the woods, as he’s walking there someone bumps into him spilling their drink on his jacket he turns around and sees its Tandy (thats where our main characters meet for the first time in the present) they introduce each other then she runs off to get more towels to dry his jacket. He then notices his wallet is missing and catches the Tandy doing the same thing to someone else so he chases after her, when he grabs her hand a blue light emits and they are both sent flying apart, her hand is lit up white and his hand is lit up black
- Tyrone goes to bed and wakes up on the top of a the Roxxon corp buildings roof in nothing but his underwear and a blanket, he then has a flash back to him and his parents at the police station asking about Billy who was supposedly taking drugs but had no evidence of any bullet holes and apparently the police man who did it didn’t even exist but when the flashback ends he leaves the building and sees that very cop who killed his brother
- Tandy uses the ballet ticket she stole to go watch it from the overhead railings instead of her designated seat in the dress she also stole, when she leaves the guy she stole from and 2 others get her into an alleyway and the ‘leader’ starts to kiss her neck and undo his jeans whilst holding her against a wall, she shouts no and the guy drops to the floor with a bloody hole in his chest and as Tandy looks down she sees a light dagger in her hand covered in blood
- Tyrone wakes up in the boot of some guys car, he looks around to find some tools and a packet of drugs so when the cop opens the boot he is smashed in the face with the packet and tyrone makes a run for an old building, when the cop finds him he starts shooting at tyrone until he is backed against a door then ducks into a tarpaulin looking object so the cops starts kicking it but tyrone isn’t there, then it cuts to his bedroom where he is led on the floor with the tarpaulin surrounded with black swirls
- Flashback to see young Tyrone and Tandy washed up on a shore holding hands with car debris around them, Tandy wakes up first and grabs her ballet bag and Tyrones coat before running off somewhere, later Tyrone wakes up by himself and before running off finds Tandy’s other ballet slipper hanging from a tree and takes it – back to present day you see Tandy sat down putting on Tyrones coat that she kept smiling to herself and you see Tyrone walk into his closet and pull out Tandy’s ballet slipper that he kept smiling to himself
And that was the main points of episode 1 normally I wont write two episodes in the one post but as it was a 2 hour premiere it means they aired episode one and two after each other.
Again i’m going to list the main points of episode two which hopefully wont be as long as we all now know the backstory.
- Police arrive at the alleyway where Tandy potentially killed the man from the night before
- Tandy gets in Liams car and tells him about the guy and the fact she stabbed him with a ‘knife’ so he rings up the hospital to see if he is dead or not which later reveals he’s not meaning Tandy could potentially be identified and has to find a way to get a new identity which will cost them about £11,000
- Tandy runs to her mums to get the bag and her mum opens the door with the guy she’s sleeping with sat on the sofa in a dressing gown she goes to the bathroom and sees the vent on the floor and her bag open with none of the pills or money in it she confronts her mum about it and sees the pills on the table empty and has spent the cash and then runs away with the empty bag
- Tandy and Liam crash a wedding and steal lots of money from there and manage to get away until Tandy breaks up with Liam and drives away but as Liam is about to leave he gets arrested and ring Tandy to bail him out but she ignores his cries
- Tyrone is at school and three of his team mates starting beating him up for missing so much of basket ball recently but he finds a tarpaulin and tries to disappear but it doesn’t work so he continues to get beat up and eventually when he wakes up he manages to escape being locked in with a base ball bat
- Tyrone goes to find the cop and when he does he rolls a bullet to catch his attention then bursts in with his mums gun but when he goes to shoot you can see the cloak behind him and he disappears and reappears in front of Tandy driving in the road, the bullet goes through the windshield and when she finally sees him she swerves heading towards a tree holding light daggers up to her chest
So that is my Recap of episode 1 & 2 I think these episodes were very much needed as sometimes series just jump straight in and don’t actually tell you how it came about so i’m glad about that but im not sure what they have planned for the rest of the series as they only have 10 episodes ordered so who knows how it will play out.